Portugal Harvest Tour:
Lisbon to Porto
September 5-13, 2020
On September 5th, 2020, a small group of lucky food and wine travelers will gather in Lisbon, Portugal, for the start of a great adventure.
Eight nights of four-star lodging, winery visits and tours, winemaker dinners, cooking classes, a market tour of Porto, an immersion into the history and culture of Portugal, and a cumulative seafood feast second to none, led by expert guide Ryan Opaz, founder of Catavino.
This is one of the top immersive trips possible to Portugal. Through the connections and communication that Ryan has developed over many years, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of Portuguese wine, food, and culture than you ever thought possible.
We hope you will join us! This is small group travel, so very limited spots available.
Price per person (based on 10-12 people participating): €4,500.00€, single supplement of 800.00€
(details below regarding inclusions)
5th September 2020
- Arrival at Lisbon International Airport and meet your English-speaking driver outside customs, for a private transfer to hotel in Lisbon – 1 per couple.
- Arrival and check into a 4-star hotel in Lisbon.
- Day at leisure to explore the city on your own or if you wish, we can organize something for your day.
- Meet Ryan Opaz, your wine guide for the week, in the hotel lobby and enjoy a short bus ride to the restaurant.
- Welcome dinner at Alfândega Restaurant (Pre-set menu with wines)
6 September 2020
Lisbon – Sintra – Colares – Lisbon
- Meet private driver, Ryan Opaz and your expert guide at the lobby and leave towards Sintra, known by the Romans as the mountains of the Moon. The Serra de Sintra is not only dotted with fairytale palaces painted in technicolor delight but also features a vast array of pristine beaches. On this half-day tour, you’ll visit the amazing National Palace and will stroll in the city center, classified as a World Heritage by Unesco.
- Leave towards the wine region of Colares.
- Arrive and enjoy a private visit followed with wine tasting and lunch at Casal Sta. Maria. The history of this Quinta goes back to the beginning of the 18th century. The main house was built in 1720 and, surprisingly, managed to survive the 1755 earthquake due to the granitic structure of the Sintra Mountain. In 1903, wine production was halted but, 100 years on, the “the westernmost vines of Europe” were planted and the wine cellar modernized. The estate was bought by Baron Bruemmer (originally from the old Baltic state of Livonia), first to breed Arab thoroughbreds, and later on reviving wine production, including the legendary DOC of Colares.
- Return to Lisbon after lunch.
- Rest of the afternoon and night at leisure.
7 September 2020
Lisbon – Óbidos – Alenquer – Lisbon
- Meet your private driver, Ryan Opaz and expert guide and leave towards Óbidos for a short walking guided tour. Óbidos’ gorgeous historic center is a labyrinth of cobblestoned streets and flower-bedecked, whitewashed houses livened up with dashes of vivid yellow and blue paint. The main gate, Porta da Vila, leads directly into the main street, Rua Direita, lined with chocolate and cherry-liqueur shops. Make sure to visit the lively market place and the Igreja de Santa Maria, featuring religious paintings by Josefa de Óbidos.
- Leave towards Alenquer.
- Your tour will continue towards a local winery for a private visit with VIP premium wine tasting and lunch. Quinta da Chocapalha is near Óbidos, where old vines have been cultivated since the 16th century. Winemaker Sandra Tavares is one of the leading female winemakers in Portugal, making wines from the Lisbon region to the heart of the Douro.
- At the end of the afternoon, your driver will take you back to Lisboa.
- Arrive and drop-off at the hotel in Lisbon.
- Night at leisure.
8 September 2020
Lisbon – Mealhada – Douro
- Meet the bus driver and Ryan Opaz at the hotel lobby.
- Leave Lisbon northwards to the Douro Valley, the land of Port wine.
- On the way, stop for a private visit, wine tasting and lunch at one of our favorite Bairrada Wine producers, Filipa Pato. The philosophy of this wine producer is simple: create authentic wines without makeup, they express the true nature of the vineyards from which they come. The producer focuses on indigenous grapes only. Baga, Bical, Arinto, Cerceal, and Maria Gomes create soulful wines from vineyard sites with soils, microclimates and aspects ideal for growing our exquisite wine grapes with biodynamic viticultural practices. In the winery, we gently handle the grapes, minimal intervention and strict monitoring of the wine allows our grapes to express themselves fully.
- After lunch, enjoy a relaxed drive towards the Douro Valley.
- Arrive and check-in at your 4-star hotel in Régua. Perched on a mountain top with panoramic views, this hotel offers luxury accommodation with private balconies overlooking the Douro River.
- Dinner will be served at the hotel restaurant. A special guest winemaker will select some of his best wines for your dinner at the hotel restaurant.
9 September 2020
- Meet your private bus driver and wine guide in the lobby.
- Leave towards the town of S. João da Pesqueira. Friends of ours for many years, Oscar will show us around his family estate and give us another glimpse into the winemaking process of the Douro. Including a chance to get your purple foot club badge.
- Head to Quevedo’s Quinta D’Agodinho and savor lamb and octopus on the grill while basking in the vineyards! Make sure you have your swimsuit with you if you want to take a dip in the Douro this day!
- Now is the time we put you to work. Make sure to have shorts or a suit that you don’t mind getting dirty. We’ll be climbing in a lagar to crush some grapes — more info on that soon!
- BBQ dinner with Douro flavours at a private venue or the Restaurant if the weather doesn’t permit.
- Depart to the hotel by bus.
- Arrival and drop-off.
- Note: Bring comfortable clothes, shorts, and walking shoes. Also, pack a change of clothes and a swimming suit. We will be out all day today and will not have the chance to get back to the hotel before dinner.
10 September 2020
- Meet Ryan Opaz and Walking guide at the lobby and leave towards Casal dos Loivos.
- Casal dos Loivos Walking Tour (6 km – 2 hrs walking): Marvel at the varied scenery in the Douro wine region on a half day’s walk from a hilltop village through the vineyards to the majestic Douro River. Visit an olive oil museum and enjoy a picnic lunch. Start your walk at the hilltop village of Casal de Loivos in order to witness the splendor of the Douro landscape from various perspectives. Before walking, you will visit an olive oil museum and taste locally produced olive oil and honey. Wind your way downhill through the vineyards to a prestigious wine estate where you will be greeted with a delicious picnic lunch.
- Bus transfer back to the hotel. Time to relax and refresh before dinner.
- For dinner you’ll dive into a private Cooking Class, beginning with an informal tour with a Countess. Her estate, filled with olive groves, cherry trees, and organic gardens will provide you with ample ingredients to use in your meal. The Countess employs a traditional approach to cooking, combined with a taste for simple yet deliciously rich ingredients, to showcase the most authentic regional cuisine. At the conclusion of the cooking lesson, dinner will be served in the elegant dining room, or al fresco in the patio, where you will enjoy the dishes you have helped to prepare.
- Return by taxi to the hotel (included).
11 September 2020
Douro Valley – Vinho Verde – Covela – Porto
- Check out from the hotel.
- Meet your private bus driver and wine guide at the lobby and leave towards Porto.
- Arrive at Quinta da Covela, a boutique winery located on a beautiful estate in the Vinho Verde region, between Douro and Minho. It is situated in the geological transition between granite and schist, in a south-facing amphitheater on the river’s right-bank. The estate covers 34 hectares, where 14 are vineyards. The wines produced include not only some of the greatest whites in Portugal but also rosés and award-winning reds. Lunch is included.
- After lunch, leave towards Porto.
- Check-in at 4-star hotel, located in Porto’s old town center.
- Night at leisure.
12 September 2020
- Morning walking Porto Food tour: You’ll be taken to several tasting locations to enjoy ten traditional and iconic Portuguese foods. You will also learn about the families and the history behind each of the restaurants, cafes, and specialty food shops that you’ll visit. In between tastings, you will hear about the history, architecture, and culture while you walk the streets of Porto. The Food Tour itself will be enough for lunch.
- You will have some time at leisure to have more lunch or to do some shopping.
- Afternoon at leisure, return back to the hotel
- Meet Ryan and bus driver at the hotel lobby and leave towards Vila Nova de Gaia.
- Come and enjoy a private visit to an independent family-owned business, managed by the Poças family since its foundation in 1918. Before your premium tasting of Tawny Port in their newly built tasting room, experience the unforgettable smell of a Port Wine Cellar where you’ll learn everything about Port wine’s history and culture.
- This evening we’ll head to dinner for a seafood feast, at O Gaveto! This family-owned restaurant is an icon in the city, not only for its wine list but for its divinely fresh fish. From the minute you walk in the door, you’re encountered with trays of the days fresh fish while being served heaps of seafood, from stuffed rock crab, tiny orange shrimp from the coast of Portugal; and gooseneck barnacles. Combined with their outstanding service, it’s a food lover’s dream!
- Depart to the hotel by bus.
13 September 2020
Meet your private driver at the lobby and leave towards Porto International Airport – 1 per couple.
Flight back home.
Price per person
based on 10-12 people participating
Single supplement: 800.00€
cost in euros, payable to CatavinoRegistration for the Portugal Harvest Tour, September 2020
- 3 nights at a 4-star hotel in Lisbon in double standard rooms with breakfast included;
- 3 nights at a 4-star hotel in Regua in double standard rooms with breakfast included;
- 2 nights at a 4-star hotel in Porto in double standard rooms with breakfast included;
- Private arrival and departure transfers;
- Mini bus at disposal as per itinerary;
- Expert Wine Guide, Ryan Opaz, at disposal as per itinerary;
- 5 dinners at local restaurants (pre-set menu with wines), 1 with special guests and 1 with cooking class;
- 5 Winery visits with premium wine tastings with lunch;
- Half day walking tour in the Douro with Olive Oil tasting and picnic lunch;
- 1 Port wine cellar visit with premium wine tasting;
- Private walking Food Tour in Porto;
- Catavino’s expert coordination and support;
- Welcome information packet, restaurant recommendations, our 24 hour contact number
- Lisbon Touristic Taxes (2€ per person per night, paid directly to the hotel at the end of your stay);
- Porto Touristic Taxes (2€ per person per night, paid directly to the hotel at the end of your stay);
- Personal Expenses.
Terms and Conditions, Payment Conditions
- UPON CONFIRMATION: 500€ per person will be paid within 3 working days of the issuing invoice date;
- 6 MONTHS PRIOR ARRIVAL: 1500€ per person will be paid within 3 working days of the issuing invoice date;
- 2 MONTHS PRIOR ARRIVAL: remaining value + upgrades, extras and supplements will be paid within 3 working days of the issuing invoice date;
- Client will assume any and all bank fees associated by a bank transfer;
- CATAVINO may cancel the booking if payment is not received according to the present terms
- Installments are non-refundable;
- Notice of any cancellation must be received in writing and any fees assessed is due 15 (fifteen) days after issuing of the invoice;
- Any additional service(s) or/and space(s) confirmed after the signature of this agreement will be used for calculation of the fee for full or partial cancellation. Please note that no reservations were made at this point. Prices and availability may change at the time of confirmation and reservations of tour services will only be done after receiving the tour deposit.